George R. R. Martin (1996 / 1998)
Captivating. An epic that is impossible to put down. I only started the first book after seeing the HBO production of the same, and was disappointed by how well the adaptation was, leaving very little additional plot to discover. For the second in the series, devoid of any spoilers, I was able to appreciate how solid the books are, the style masterfully drawing you in, urging you to rush ahead, but daring not to for fear that you might miss an important detail. While definitely not for younger eyes, the depiction of life in this fantasy world feels like it has been lifted right out of 14
th century Europe, making it seem more real than your stock-standard history texts of Henry VIII and his wives. I have promised myself not to start the next in the series for a while, as it is a serious time commitment and torturous to have to put down. Suggested reading for a trans-Pacific flight with no sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment